There is much talk about how to use knives, how to cut different foods, and what types of knives to use. But there is less talk about what we need to do once we have used a knife, and how to clean and maintain it. Here we give some advice that if followed will allow us to keep our knife’s edge sharpened for a longer period of time, and keep the blade in the best shape possible.
- Wash your kitchen knives as soon as you are done using them. Put them away safely. It’s easy and convenient to clean our good quality kitchen knives and cutting utensils right after use.
- Use a non abrasive sponge or a towel to avoid scratching the blade or marring the edge which would decrease its performance quality.
- Do not leave your knives in dirty water with other utensils before cleaning them or neglect them on the countertop. Neglecting our knives like this exposes them to damage from other utensils and objects which can chip and damage them. Chipped and damaged knives are more likely to cause injury to those using them.
- Do not wash your knives in the dishwasher as the steel will become discolored and the inevitable knocking together that happens in the dishwasher will damage the knife’s blade. Detergents and temperature can also damage the handle, especially if it is made of wood.
- Dry them immediately with a dry clean cloth after washing. Put them away.
Once clean, they should be stored correctly so that we do not cut ourselves when reaching for them. Here are some options:
- Magnetic wall bar is very comfortable. Keep an eye on the edge when picking it up, especially if the bar is metallic, and be sure to rotate the knife when it picking up so that the edge does not hit the bar. This storage option is the most handy to use in the kitchen.
- Horizontal drawers are practical if you do not want to have many things on the countertop.
- Magnetic blocks are easy to clean and are elegant. They allow Miyabi or Kai type knives to be displayed and they are decorative in nature.
- Spaghetti or universal knife blocks are economic and hygienic. Plastic spaghetti can be cleaned in the dishwasher, along with the cutlery and other kitchen utensils.
- Conventional knife blocks require a large storage space. According to its design it is difficult to clean the slots in which the knives are placed. We recommend blocks that can be dismantled.
- Protective covers allow you to put your knife anywhere. They can be used to temporarily store the knife in the drawer, thus protecting the edge. It is also great for transporting knives in special bags or suitcases and it prevents the knives from hitting each other, which would obviously damage the edge.
We recommend that you choose the storage solution that best suits your needs and that is tailored to your kitchen. If you do not know which one to choose, send us an email to email@example.com, and we will advise you.